Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2012 Governor's State of the State speeches
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2012 Governor's State of the State speeches (number of quotes indicated):
- Andrew Cuomo (16) New York Democratic Governor
- Bob McDonnell (7) Virginia Republican Governor
- Chris Christie (5) New Jersey N.J. Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- Dan Malloy (4) Connecticut Democratic Governor
- Dave Heineman (2) Nebraska Republican Governor
- Deval Patrick (8) Massachusetts Democratic Governor
- Earl Ray Tomblin (3) West Virginia Democratic Governor (term-limited 2016)
- John Hickenlooper (9) Colorado Democratic Colorado Governor
- Martin O`Malley (6) Maryland Democratic Presidential candidate
- Matt Mead (8) Wyoming Republican Governor
- Mitch Daniels (6) Indiana Former Republican Governor (2005-2013)
- Nikki Haley (16) South Carolina UN Ambassador 2017-2018
- Peter Shumlin (3) Vermont Democratic Governor (retiring 2016)
- Phil Bredesen (1) Tennessee Former Democrat Governor (2002-2010)
- Sean Parnell (5) Alaska Republican Governor
- Susana Martinez (13) New Mexico Republican Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Martin O`Malley: $101M for stem cell research over six years.
Budget & Economy|
Dan Malloy: Vision for economic revival, not just recovery.
Nikki Haley: It's time for truth in budgeting; & government spending cap.
Susana Martinez: Post-stimulus, balanced the budget without raising taxes.
Andrew Cuomo: Economic Blueprint: growth via development projects.
John Hickenlooper: 2012: It's time to pass civil unions.
Martin O`Malley: Civil marriage rights for all Marylanders.
Andrew Cuomo: Marriage equality for ALL New Yorkers.
Andrew Cuomo: $200M contract support to get 20% MWBE contracts.
Andrew Cuomo: Improved services to 2 million residents with disabilities.
Susana Martinez: Exempt small business from gross receipts tax.
Peter Shumlin: Getting credit to entrepreneurs when they need it grows jobs.
Andrew Cuomo: Prevent landlords from avoiding rent regulation.
Matt Mead: Wyoming has 4th lowest rate of violent crimes.
Deval Patrick: Reform mandatory sentencing law: longer time for 3rd felony.
Deval Patrick: Comprehensive reentry program with job training & education.
Nikki Haley: Restore funding for Law Enforcement DNA lab.
Chris Christie: Bail reform package: jail violent offenders before trial.
Susana Martinez: Mandatory prison time for child abuse.
Mitch Daniels: Strengthen laws against horrid practice of human trafficking.
Andrew Cuomo: Prisons are not an economic development program.
Andrew Cuomo: Collect DNA for all crimes, to exonerate the innocent.
Deval Patrick: Warehousing non-violent offenders is a costly policy failure.
Chris Christie: Drug treatment rather than non-violent offenders in prison.
Susana Martinez: Crack down on repeat drunk drivers.
Bob McDonnell: Tough sentences for dealers; but new drug courts too.
Earl Ray Tomblin: Not just criminal penalties: use technology for enforcement.
Matt Mead: No federal curriculum standards; keep Wyoming standards.
Nikki Haley: Make a real investment in our charter schools.
Chris Christie: Replace Abbott District funds with tenure reform & charters.
Susana Martinez: $97M to improve our local schools; invest in reform.
Susana Martinez: $17M for reading reforms; don't pass failing kids.
Mitch Daniels: End cruel, defeatist practice of passing kids who can't read.
Andrew Cuomo: Additional SUNY Challenge Grants.
Energy & Oil|
Martin O`Malley: Raise gas tax by 2% per year, to rebuild infrastructure.
Sean Parnell: Build the Alaska gasline to extract natural gas.
Susana Martinez: Eliminate gross receipts tax on locomotive fuels.
John Hickenlooper: Develop unconventional technology for extracting shale oil.
John Hickenlooper: Fracking opens new era of energy; but disclose ingredients.
Earl Ray Tomblin: Fight the federal government's war on coal.
Andrew Cuomo: Focus more attention on exploiting our solar potential.
Matt Mead: Mineral production resources equate to tremendous value.
Matt Mead: With courts wolf management, winners are lawyers & wolves.
Martin O`Malley: Flush Tax: fund green upgrade to wastewater treatment plants.
Nikki Haley: Charleston is now US's top tourism spot; sell South Carolina.
Sean Parnell: Alaska is not just one big national park; keep EPA out.
Sean Parnell: Invest in natural resources: fishing, mining, and timber.
Susana Martinez: $3.3M in fines from those who break environmental rules.
Bob McDonnell: $5 million for open space land conservation.
Mitch Daniels: First state to phase in new environmental Clean Air permits.
Phil Bredesen: $10M to partially restore cuts in land acquisition fund.
Families & Children|
Deval Patrick: Parents wonder if their kids will do as well as them.
Sean Parnell: Choose Respect: $12M to eradicate domestic violence epidemic.
Dave Heineman: Reform child welfare system: collaborative & measurable.
John Hickenlooper: Consolidate 23 early childhood services under one roof.
Dan Malloy: Make sure entire world knows: CT is open for business.
Bob McDonnell: Trade missions worked in London, Shanghai, and Mumbai.
Nikki Haley: We capped lawsuit damages; next tort reform is loser-pays.
Susana Martinez: Lead by example: eliminate governor's chef & cut salaries.
Susana Martinez: Close revolving door: no lobbying for 2 years after office.
John Hickenlooper: Pits and Peeves: Replace red tape with LEAN government.
Andrew Cuomo: Public Integrity Reform Act: state ethics disclosures.
John Hickenlooper: 2012: Make healthcare both affordable and accessible.
Deval Patrick: Replace fee-for-service model with quality-of-care model.
Nikki Haley: Medicaid is a broken system; federal mandates cause problems.
Nikki Haley: No government-run health exchanges; transparency instead.
Susana Martinez: $45M more in Medicaid; $8M more for nursing homes.
Dave Heineman: Don't spend money on ObamaCare until Supreme Court decision.
Andrew Cuomo: Implement the N.Y. Health Exchange with federal funds.
Deval Patrick: Massachusetts leads the nation in veterans benefits.
Nikki Haley: We are a patriotic people; we love those in uniform.
Susana Martinez: $1,000 tax credit for hiring returning veterans.
Bob McDonnell: In-state tuition for all members of Virginia National Guard.
Matt Mead: Wyoming unemployment at 5.8% while nation over 8%.
Dan Malloy: We created 9,400 new, private sector jobs in the last year.
Martin O`Malley: We have driven unemployment down to a three-year low.
Deval Patrick: Address "skills gap" by aligned community college strategy.
Nikki Haley: Pledge that every citizen who wants a job, has a job.
Nikki Haley: We pushed back & NLRB dropped its frivolous Boeing lawsuit.
Nikki Haley: ReadySC: work force training; vocational & technical college.
Nikki Haley: I love that we are one of the least unionized states.
Nikki Haley: No unemployment benefits for workers on strike.
Bob McDonnell: $38 million to spur job creation in targeted programs.
Mitch Daniels: Support Right to Work and Indiana will add jobs faster.
Peter Shumlin: Vermont unemployment rate, 5.3%, is among lowest in America.
Andrew Cuomo: Attack chronic unemployment among inner-city youth.
John Hickenlooper: TBD Colorado: share your vision and priorities for our state.
Peter Shumlin: Tropical Storm Irene recovery: we rebuilt faster & smarter.
Principles & Values|
Chris Christie: The New Jersey Comeback: stop blaming; start building.
Mitch Daniels: You might dislike my decisions, but things ARE different.
Nikki Haley: Public service retirees: no COLA; no spiking; no double-dip.
John Hickenlooper: Update constitutional barriers in state's retirement program.
Earl Ray Tomblin: Privatize W.V.'s workers' compensation system.
Matt Mead: Wyoming is #1 state for good tax climate.
Nikki Haley: Flatten individual income tax from six brackets to three.
Sean Parnell: Meaningful tax reform; cut spending by $856M.
Chris Christie: Reduce all income tax brackets by 10% and restore EITC.
Andrew Cuomo: A flat tax is not a fair tax.
Andrew Cuomo: Enacted NY's first-ever property tax cap: 2% per year.
Matt Mead: Diversify Wyoming economy with petaflop supercomputer.
Matt Mead: Expand state teleconferencing & state cloud computing.
Martin O`Malley: $156M for One Maryland Broadband Network.
Nikki Haley: Deepen the port of Charleston; return to greatness.
Susana Martinez: Tax credit for high-tech R&D.
John Hickenlooper: COIN: Colorado Innovation Network incubates entrepreneurship.
Bob McDonnell: $4 billion for 6-year highway and rail project plan.
Mitch Daniels: Invest $1.2 billion in Hoosier Heartland Corridor and US31.
War & Peace|
Bob McDonnell: 230 Virginians gave lives for War on Terror, including Iraq.
Welfare & Poverty|
Dan Malloy: $103 million to maintain the safety net.
Deval Patrick: Housing First strategy: 1,000 families out of shelters.
Andrew Cuomo: Create a Foreclosure Relief Unit to keep people in homes.
Andrew Cuomo: Remove barriers to food stamps: stop fingerprinting for food.
The above quotations are from 2012 Governor's State of the State speeches.
Related books, debates, and candidates:
- 2019 State of the Union speech, plus responses by the Democratic Party
- 2019 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2018 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2018 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2017 State of the Union speech, plus response by the Democratic Party
- 2017 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2016 State of the Union speech
- 2016 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2015 State of the Union speech
- 2015 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2014 State of the Union speech, plus response by Green Party, Republican Party, and Tea Party
- 2014 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2013 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2013 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2012 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2012 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2011 State of the Union speech, plus response by GOP and Tea Party
- 2011 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007-2011 Mayors' State of the City speeches
- 2010 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Obama Q+A at GOP House Retreat, Jan. 2010
- 2010 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Bob McDonnell (R, VA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2009 Address to Joint Session of Congress, plus response by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R, LA)
- 2009 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2008 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (D, KS)
- 2008 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2007 State of the Union speech, plus response by Sen. James Webb (D, VA)
- 2007 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2006 State of the Union speech, plus response by Gov. Tim Kaine (D, VA)
- 2005 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Harry Reid (D, NV) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 State of the Union speech, plus responses by Sen Tom Daschle (D, SD) & Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA)
- 2004 Governors' State of the State speeches
- 2001 Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other early 2000s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Other late 1990s Governors' State of the State speeches
- Historical State of the Union addresses: