Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2014 Virginia Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 VA Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Bob McDonnell (1) Virginia Republican Governor
- Ed Gillespie (26) Virginia Republican 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
- Mark Warner (10) Virginia Former Democratic Governor (2002-2006); elected Senator 2008
- Robert Sarvis (5) Virginia Libertarian nominee for Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Virginia Senate debates:
- News-Tribune, "Warner, Gillespie face off in final debate", hosted by the AARP Virginia and the League of Women Voters, 10/13/2014
- AARP Voter Guide (on Robert Sarvis), Aug. 31, 2014
- Washington Post, "Will NRA ads help or hurt Ed Gillespie?", by Jenna Portnoy, 8/23/2014
- Politico.com weblog, "Warner on offense in Virginia Senate debate," by James Hohmann, July 26, 2014
- The Hill weblog, "Warner presses Gillespie on climate change," by Laura Barron-Lopez, July 26, 2014
- Politifact.com FactCheck, "Population growth is at its lowest since the Great Depression?", April 1, 2014
- Politico.com, "Ed Gillespie: GOP must be more inclusive", by Katie Glueck, March 6, 2014
- Richmond Times-Dispatch, "Sarvis plans to challenge Warner", by Markus Schmidt, Jan 30, 2014.
- The Federalist coverage, 1/16/2014
- ThinkProgress.org coverage, 1/16/2014
- New York Times on Ed Gillespie's announcement, 1/9/2014
- Washington Post on Ed Gillespie's announcement, 1/9/2014
- Charles Crumm in Michigan Daily Tribune, on Republican National Committee email campaign, Nov.5, 2013
- Washington Post, profile of Ed Gillespie as presidential counselor, 8/9/2007
- South Jersey Magazine, profile of Ed Gillespie as RNC chair, January 2005.
- Public Citizen, citizen.org, "Congress Watch: Ed Gillespie: The Embedded Lobbyist, June 2003
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Ed Gillespie: I never supported a Personhood amendment.
Ed Gillespie: Sell contraceptives over-the-counter to avoid Hobby Lobby.
Ed Gillespie: Opposes abortion.
Budget & Economy|
Mark Warner: Sequester was stupidest way to cut; shutdown cost even more.
Ed Gillespie: Maintain state same-sex marriage ban, but leave it to states.
Mark Warner: Switched to supporting same-sex marriage in 2013.
Ed Gillespie: Increase share of African-American vote in midterm elections.
Robert Sarvis: Libertarian platform: allow same-sex couples to marry.
Ed Gillespie: OpEd: Lobbied for company that paid women 39% less than men.
Ed Gillespie: Marriage is the legal union of one man and one woman.
Ed Gillespie: Lobbied to restrict class action lawsuits on corporate fraud.
Robert Sarvis: Libertarian platform: Legalize marijuana.
Ed Gillespie: We spend $12 on safe sex ed for every $1 on abstinence.
Energy & Oil|
Ed Gillespie: Sea levels are rising, but it's debatable what causes it.
Mark Warner: All-of-the-above approach, including pro-coal.
Ed Gillespie: Democrats' energy policy is an attack on our quality of life.
Ed Gillespie: OpEd: Lobbied for company that received 50 EPA warnings.
Robert Sarvis: Libertarians want less intervention in foreign policy.
Ed Gillespie: Opposes the Export-Import Bank.
Mark Warner: Renew Export-Import Bank to support U.S. businesses globally.
Ed Gillespie: Lobbied to remove tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber.
Ed Gillespie: Paid $27M in lobbying fees in early 2000s.
Ed Gillespie: Fight UN gun ban treaty, & fight bans on guns or ammunition.
Mark Warner: Restrict but don't ban high-capacity magazines.
Ed Gillespie: Ebola: Impose a flight ban from West Africa.
Mark Warner: Ebola: screen passengers on flights from West Africa.
Ed Gillespie: Benefits from GOP resistance to the new health law.
Mark Warner: AdWatch: Targeted by RNC robocalls for support of ObamaCare.
Ed Gillespie: Send migrant kids back to parents in Central America.
Mark Warner: Send migrant kids back to Central America, after processing.
Robert Sarvis: Liberalize immigration; population growth lowest since 1930s.
Ed Gillespie: Unapologetic supporter of comprehensive immigration overhaul.
Principles & Values|
Ed Gillespie: Don't let the Left fill the vacuum of minority voters.
Bob McDonnell: Indicted on corruption charges days after leaving office.
Ed Gillespie: Planned political reporting career at Catholic U. of America.
Ed Gillespie: Raised a Democrat; first job with Democrat; switched to GOP.
Mark Warner: Opposes privatizing social security.
Ed Gillespie: Believes in conservative ideas of lower taxes.
War & Peace|
Ed Gillespie: Keep troops in Afghanistan; military on table with Iran.
Mark Warner: Keep military action on the table against Iran.
Ed Gillespie: As Bush spokesperson, defended Iraqi surge & al Qaeda link.
Welfare & Poverty|
Robert Sarvis: Foster a competitive market for community-based services.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Bob McDonnell Virginia Republican Governor
- Ed Gillespie Virginia Republican 2017 Gubernatorial candidate
- Mark Warner Virginia Former Democratic Governor (2002-2006); elected Senator 2008
- Robert Sarvis Virginia Libertarian nominee for Governor
The above quotations are from 2014 Virginia Senate debates.
- Outsider in the House, by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I, VT)
- The Little Plaid Book, by Sen. Lamar Alexander (R, TN)
- Cowboy in Caracas, by Senate nominee Charlie Hardy (D, WY)
- The New Black Politician: Cory Booker, Newark, and Post-Racial America (D, NJ)
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- A Tribute to 101 Incredible Women, by Senate candidate Joyce Dickerson (D, SC)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)