Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2019 Mississippi Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2019 MS Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Bill Waller (17) Mississippi Republican Gubernatorial candidate
- Jim Hood (30) Mississippi Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Phil Bryant (3) Mississippi Republican Governor
- Robert Foster (35) Mississippi Republican challenger for Governor
- Ronnie Musgrove (1) Mississippi Former Democratic Governor (2000-2003)
- Tate Reeves (13) Mississippi Republican candidate for governor
- Trent Lott (1) Mississippi Republican candidate for governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Mississippi 2019 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- MississippiToday.org, "Waller cites 'common sense' in also not meeting with women alone," by Larrison Campbell, July 15, 2019
- MississippiToday.org, "'We've built an army': Tate Reeves," by Adam Ganucheau, July 15, 2019
- CNN.com, "Mississippi gubernatorial candidate stands by refusal to allow female reporter to interview him alone," by Devan Cole. 7/11/2019
- Washington Examiner, "Foster's refusal to work with a female reporter was sexist," by Madeline Fry, July 11, 2019
- Jackson Clarion-Ledger, "Unsealed documents show how drug companies coordinated price-fixing, AG says," by Giacom Bologna, 6/26/2019
- Mississippi Today, "Hood long railed against Mississippi's mental health system. Now, he must defend it in court," by Larrison Campbell, 6/3/2019
- Mississippi Today, "Jim Hood draws rebuke from the right and the left on abortion," by Adam Ganucheau, May 22, 2019
- WJTV.com, "Jim Hood talks criminal justice, economy, infrastructure and healthcare at USM town hall," by Gerald Harris, 4/17/2019
- The Meridian Star, "Jim Hood focuses on mental health, healthcare in gubernatorial run," by Whitney Downward, 4/12/2019
- News Mississippi (NewsMS.FM), "GOP candidates Foster, Waller debate," by Alex Paton, April 3, 2019
- Y'all Politics, "AG Hood Delivers $40 Million to State Funds from BP Payment," by Sarah Ulmer, 4/3/2019
- Mississippi Clarion Ledger, "Waller, Foster talk roads & Medicaid expansion in first debate", by Luke Ramseth, April 2, 2019
- Mississippi Business Journal, "Waller & Foster advocate teacher pay & health access in GOP debate," April 2019
- Tupelo Daily Journal, "Waller touts vision for state's future," by Caleb Bedillion, Mar. 26, 2019
- Daily Times Leader, "Waller: Reeves not 'good alternative' for governor," by Steve Rogers, March 6, 2019
- YallPolitics.com, "Republican candidate Waller has voting history in last three statewide Democrat primaries," by Jay E. Hughes, March 1, 2019
- Biloxi Sun-Herald, "Hood could win governor's race and not be seated," by Bobby Harrison, February 04, 2019
- Mississippi Today, "Capitol leaders showed active interest in AG ruling on retirees," by Bobby Harrison & Eric Shelton, March 14, 2019
- Tupelo Daily Journal, "Waller talks policy views during Tupelo stop," by Caleb Bedillion, Mar. 12, 2019
- U.S. News & World Report, "Mississippi Pension System Set to Update Rule," Feb. 12, 2019
- Jackson Free Press, "Beyond Angry Tweets: Robert Foster on Why He is Running for Governor," by Ashton Pittman, Feb. 6, 2019
- Mississippi Clarion Ledger, "Foster supports version of Medicaid expansion", by Luke Ramseth, Jan. 8, 2019
- The Clarion-Ledger, "Jim Hood Jabs at Tate Reeves at Hobnob", by Luke Ramseth, Nov. 1, 2018
- DeSoto Times Tribune, "Foster announces run for governor," by Bob Bakken, December 12, 2018
- Jackson Free Press, "Hard-right Conservative 'Farmer Bob' to Announce," by Ashton Pittman, December 10, 2018
- Jackson Free Press, "Jim Hood: Retirees Could Serve at Capitol Without Pension Hit," December 4, 2018
- DailyKos.com, "Jim Crow law could cost Dems Mississippi election even if they win more votes," by Stephen Wolf, October 05, 2018
- Mississippi Today, "Jim Hood Launches Campaign For Governor," by Adam Ganucheau. October 3, 2018
- Mississippi Today, "Jim Hood, Mississippi’s only statewide Democrat, to announce governor bid," by A.Ganucheau , L.Campbell & B.Harrison, Oct. 1, 2018
- Today In Mississippi, "Talking with 'Today': Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves," March 11, 2018
- Mississippi Today, "5 takeaways from Senate infrastructure proposal," by Adam Ganucheau, Feb. 20, 2018
- Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal, "Reeves easily tops statewide campaign fundraising", Feb 3, 2018
- Mississippi Today, "Attorney general steers clear of DACA immigration lawsuit," by R.L.Nave, Sept. 7. 2017
- Jackson Free Press, "Politicking Over Mental-Health Care," by Arielle Dreher, July 27, 2017
- Clarion-Ledger, "Mississippi sets tone as opioid drugmakers face rising tide of lawsuits," by Jerry Mitchell, June 10, 2017
- Jackson Free Press, "Solar Power: A Mississippian's Guide," by Arielle Dreher, 5/4/2017
- Legal Newsline, "Miss. AG sues pharma companies over allegedly unapproved drugs," by Jessica Karmasek, May 2, 2017
- ARS Technica, "Mississippi AG Jim Hood sues Google--again," by Joe Mullin, 1/18/2017
- Mississippi Today, "Blue Lives Matter,' immigration bills get Reeves' support," by R. L. Nave, Jan. 9, 2017
- Mississippi Today, "Federal judge blocks HB 1523," by Larrison Campbell, June 30, 2016
- The Clarion-Ledger, "Trent Lott for governor, 2019?", by Geoff Pender, May 9, 2015
- GulfLive.com, "Reeves announces $400 million tax relief plan," by Warren Kulo, Feb. 10, 2015
- Mississippi Public Broadcasting, "Hood disagrees with gay marriage ban but will defend in court," by Jeffrey Hess, Dec 03, 2014
- Mississippi Business Journal, "VW's incentives over company's stance on union vote," by Ted Carter, Feb. 13, 2014
- NRA Institute for Legislative Action, "Hood Opines that Enhanced Licensees May Carry on Educational Property," Oct. 4, 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Bill Waller: Pro-life; and healthcare is a right-to-life issue.
Robert Foster: Protect all innocent life, including unborn children.
Budget & Economy|
Jim Hood: State economy is not moving; we've got to drain the swamp.
Robert Foster: Being discriminated against is part of our free society.
Robert Foster: Denying services to gays different than denying to blacks.
Robert Foster: 2015: Never heard anyone being offended by our state flag.
Jim Hood: Help marginalized communities, like Jesus taught.
Jim Hood: Personally opposes gay marriage ban, but defends it as AG.
Phil Bryant: Banning same-sex marriage is good policy.
Jim Hood: Invest in small business to turn around MS economy.
Bill Waller: Level playing field on taxes, to avoid special company deals.
Robert Foster: Cut the franchise tax; it's a regressive tax on businesses.
Robert Foster: Let businesses deny service to gays for religious reasons.
Jim Hood: Watchdog over corporate wrong-doers.
Robert Foster: A tax on business means a tax on job creation.
Jim Hood: Criticizes tax give-aways to out-of-state corporations.
Tate Reeves: Government shouldn't pick winners and losers.
Bill Waller: Inmates need a passage back into society.
Robert Foster: Police officers don't shoot at people unless they need to.
Robert Foster: People have to respect police officers and answer questions.
Robert Foster: Reduce recidivism by differentiating non-violent offenders.
Tate Reeves: Blue Lives Matter: public safety workers in protected class.
Robert Foster: We can't punish someone out of addiction.
Robert Foster: Full-on prohibition of drugs does not work.
Jim Hood: Sue opioid manufacturers for deceptive practices.
Phil Bryant: More drug testing for unemployment insurance applicants.
Bill Waller: Pay raise for good teachers & to attract new ones.
Jim Hood: Increase teacher pay until state reaches regional average.
Jim Hood: Keep students here by keeping college debt down.
Robert Foster: Make pay raise for teachers a priority in Jackson.
Bill Waller: Community colleges teach job skills at high schools.
Robert Foster: Too much emphasis on trying to send every kid to college.
Robert Foster: No free community college; focus on vo-tech.
Jim Hood: Statewide, universal, public pre-kindergarten program.
Robert Foster: School choice has its place, but we must be very careful.
Robert Foster: Why build duplicate private schools and public schools?
Tate Reeves: Public charter schools in failing districts.
Energy & Oil|
Bill Waller: Gas tax to sustainably fund roads & bridges.
Tate Reeves: Developing rural areas could provide viable energy resources.
Jim Hood: Consumer guide on solar power panels and tax breaks.
Jim Hood: BP spill continues to harm coast's environment and economy.
Jim Hood: Provide relief & protection after oil spills & hurricanes.
Families & Children|
Tate Reeves: Creating family-friendly environment was a platform priority.
Robert Foster: Support tariffs on China; assist farmers when hurt by them.
Robert Foster: Power corrupts all men; long-time candidates owe many favors.
Jim Hood: Apply "Open Records Act" to state legislative email.
Tate Reeves: Emails with PERS revealed by public records request.
Robert Foster: Enact sunset legislation; roll back rules and regulations.
Jim Hood: Let retired teachers keep pensions AND serve in legislature.
Robert Foster: Second amendment is final check & balance in Constitution.
Tate Reeves: Pro-gun rights; lowered barriers to concealed carry.
Jim Hood: Guns ok on school property, with enhanced license.
Jim Hood: Uncovered industry-wide plan to inflate drug prices.
Bill Waller: More accessible, quality health care to address crisis.
Bill Waller: Work with federal government to expand Medicaid in MS.
Robert Foster: Work with federal government to expand Medicaid in MS.
Bill Waller: Address uncompensated care at rural hospitals.
Robert Foster: Everyone has access to healthcare; issue is affordability.
Bill Waller: Consider some form of Medicaid expansion in MS.
Robert Foster: Consider some form of Medicaid expansion.
Robert Foster: Reform Medicaid to cover 300,000 more Mississippians.
Robert Foster: ObamaCare is bad policy, but let's get Mississippi our share.
Robert Foster: Expand Medicaid with contribution of monthly fee.
Jim Hood: Accept federal dollars to help struggling rural hospitals.
Robert Foster: Reform our monopolistic Certificate of Need laws.
Jim Hood: Sue drug companies for over-charging Medicaid.
Tate Reeves: Let's find solutions instead of over-institutionalizing.
Bill Waller: Served in Army National Guard & then on state Supreme Court.
Tate Reeves: Honor Vietnam Veteran's service with 50th anniversary book.
Bill Waller: National Guard is reasonable for border security.
Robert Foster: No sanctuary: report illegal criminals.
Jim Hood: Stay out of DACA fights; it's a federal issue.
Tate Reeves: Supports law enforcement inquiry into immigration status.
Tate Reeves: Protect manufacturers from unfair union negotiating tactics.
Principles & Values|
Bill Waller: Service to God, to family, to state and country.
Robert Foster: Conservative outsider; aligned with Trump on social media.
Bill Waller: I'm a Republican; but voting in Democratic primaries ok.
Jim Hood: 1890s election law designed to disenfranchise blacks.
Ronnie Musgrove: 1999: elected by state House vote, after plurality win.
Jim Hood: 1890 law requires winning majority AND state House districts.
Jim Hood: End self-dealing in Jackson.
Phil Bryant: Created Imagine Mississippi PAC for post-term-limit career.
Trent Lott: Led the Singing Senators, and started Seersucker Thursdays.
Jim Hood: Let public employees run for office & still draw pensions.
Jim Hood: Encourage more state retirees to run for state legislature.
Jim Hood: Tax cuts to wealthy caused mental health budget cuts.
Robert Foster: Eliminate Mississippi's personal income tax.
Robert Foster: Sales taxes are best; poor pay more but are taken care of.
Robert Foster: Excise and sales tax, rather than income and property tax.
Tate Reeves: Reduce taxes to help small business.
Bill Waller: More funds to take care of our crumbling roads and bridges.
Robert Foster: Resist flashy projects, but must do critical infrastructure.
Bill Waller: Fixing roads and bridges so far? A raindrop in a puddle.
Robert Foster: Gas tax instead of income tax, for infrastructure.
Bill Waller: Tax swap to fund infrastructure.
Jim Hood: We need to get back to swinging hammers and building bridges.
Jim Hood: Put some money where your mouth is on infrastructure.
Jim Hood: Focused Attorney General's office on cybercrime.
Tate Reeves: Diverting $600M to Strategic Infrastructure Investment Fund.
Jim Hood: Sued Google for data mining & marketing student information.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Bill Waller Mississippi Republican Gubernatorial candidate
- Jim Hood Mississippi Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Phil Bryant Mississippi Republican Governor
- Robert Foster Mississippi Republican challenger for Governor
- Ronnie Musgrove Mississippi Former Democratic Governor (2000-2003)
- Tate Reeves Mississippi Republican candidate for governor
- Trent Lott Mississippi Republican candidate for governor
The above quotations are from 2019 Mississippi Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2018-19 Governors' book excerpts:
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by Governor Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)