Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
by Cory Booker (2016)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
Books by and about the 2016 presidential election|
| What Happened ,|
by Hillary Clinton (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Becoming ,|
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
by Gov. Angus King
(Click for Amazon book review)
Click here for 13 full quotes from Angus King in the book Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
OnTheIssues.org BOOK REVIEW:
This book is a travelogue. It has all the usual things that a travelogue has: maps of the cross-country routes; goofy pictures of the wife and kids; anecdotes about favorite places. But THIS travelogue is by the former governor of Maine. He started his cross-country RV trip, with his wife (that would be Mary Herman, the former First Lady of Maine) and their two kids (who were home-schooled en route), the day after retiring from the governor's office.
Angus King, the former governor of Maine and the author of this travelogue, is now the frontrunner for U.S. Senate, for the seat being vacated by Olympia Snowe in November 2012. Hence we looked over his book to find any hints of policy stances. We found a few; excerpted below.
Obviously, a popular and freshly-retired governor will have some policy issues arise anywhere and anytime. But mostly this book is just a travelogue. We read it for the policy -- you might prefer to read it for the stories about the Corn Palace and the Tabasco sauce factory. It's much more fun that way.
-- Jesse Gordon, editor-in-chief, OnTheIssues.org, May 2012
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
How are deficits suddenly cause for mass demonstrations?
We piously judge slaveowners; would we endure peer censure?
Energy & Oil|
Windpower: everyone's for progress; no one's for change.
Oil & trees aren't ours to use up in our generation.
River "amenities" have enormous economic & cultural value.
National parks are tax money well spent.
Two Maines: inexorable decline of rural areas.
Get cars out of the more crowded national parks.
States Rights: code for 1840s slavery; & 1950s segregation.
Principles & Values|
Learned lessons of retirement by travel after governorship.
Greatest documentary ever: Ken Burns' "The Civil War".
Regret the things you did; rather than things you didn't do.
Internet approaches economists' ideal of a perfect market.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Angus King
The above quotations are from Governor`s Travels
by Gov. Angus King.
Autobiographies and Biographies of Governors:
- What A Party!, by gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D, VA)
- The Last Line of Defense, by gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R, VA)
- Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power, by Bob Ingle and Michael Symons
- Can`t is Not an Option, by Gov. Nikki Haley, April 2012
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King, Oct. 2010
- The Governator, by Ian Halperin (about Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, R-CA), Aug. 2011
- A Governor`s Story, by Jennifer Granholm (D-MI), Oct, 2005
- The Agenda for America, by Gov. Haley Barbour (R, MS), April 1996
- Blue Man in a Red State, by Greg Lemon, (about Gov. Brian Schweitzer, D, MT), June 2008
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R, AZ), Nov. 2011
- Crossroads: The Future of American Politics, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D, NY), Oct. 2003
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D, MA), April 2011
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Lincoln Chafee (I, RI), April 2008
- Teachers Under Attack, by Mike Spina, about Gov. Chris Christie (R, NJ), Feb. 2011
Press Releases etc. from Governors, Mayors, and Justices:
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2016-2019
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2013
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2012
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2011
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2010
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2001-2009
- Mayoral Press Releases, 2011
- Senatorial Press Releases, 2010's
- Gubernatorial Campaign websites, 2010-2011
- Mayoral Campaign websites, 2011
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2011
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2010
- Mayorial State of the City speeches, 2007-2011
- Gubernatorial Campaign websites, 2010
- Gubernatorial Campaign websites, 2001-2009
- My Grandfather's Son, by Justice Clarence Thomas, Oct. 2008
Page last edited: Dec 20, 2018